Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pauline Angelina’s Deliziose Polpette


 When my Nana made meatballs, she would always give me a couple before she put them in the gravy – polpette. To this day, when I make meatballs, I always treat myself!

2 lbs. ground beef (some folks use 1/3 veal, 1/3 pork – I don’t)
4 eggs beaten lightly ½ cup of flat leaf parsley – chopped fine
½ - ¾ cup of bread crumbs (I use flavored)
¼ cup grated locatelli romano cheese salt and freshly ground pepper Add milk to consistency.

1. Mix eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper.
2. Add to meat and work through with hands. Consistency should be slightly firm, yet moist. If too moist, add a little more breadcrumbs, but not too much because meatballs will be too hard.
3. Shape into balls 2” in diameter. ( I rinse my hands after each two or three balls and it makes the rolling easier.)
4. Brown on all sides on non-stick fry surface. 5. Once browned, continue cooking in gravy.

No comments: